Aside from the obvious reducing turnovers and improving on the free throw line, the Magic need to make a few minor tweaks in order to beat the Detroit Pistons. Here are a couple things that I think the Magic could adjust to help their chances of beating the Pistons.
- First, get Hedo the ball. Hedo appeared to score without any problem when he had the ball. The Magic need to get him involved early in the offensive play and run him off screens when he's not.
- Where's JJ? Without a serious 3 point threat, it's pretty easy to defend Howard. I'd like to see Hedo and JJ on the floor at times to help spread the floor and make the other team pay for doubling up on Howard.
- Stop the unnatural substitution patterns. Having Howard play until 8 minutes to go in the second quarter is not the brightest idea. Get him out towards the end of the first so he gets the extra time between quarters and then bring in back in with 9 to go in the second part of each half.
- Point guard play. I think we have to start Dooling at PG in order to have a chance. He's not a long-term solution for the Magic, but he's all we got to play the position for now. This opens up room for Trevor and JJ to come in at natural positions ( for Hedo/Grant). Nelson/Arroyo can split time behind Dooling depending on who's playing the hardest.
- Ariza. Real simple here. Ariza has to show up and has to play 20+ minutes in order for this team to have any real chance. He's not the answer, but a big part of the answer. His length and quickness will create problems for the Pistons.
- Tony Battie. The guy only averages 24 minutes a game this year for us. But his leadership will help - especially in late game situations. Let's try 30 minutes and see where things go.
No one thing is going to make the Magic contenders overnight. But the Pistons can get lazy and the Magic can get lucky. The team needs to turn up the intensity and make some minor tweaks in order to have a chance. I just hope the coaching staff is capable of understanding the issues and adjusting the roles accordingly. Let's GO Magic!!!